lose it to gain it
why are we doing this?
At the beginning of each new year we take 21 days to consecrate ourselves to God through fasting and prayer. We believe God wants to do big things in 2018 in all our lives and through our church, and fasting, combined with prayer, has a way of centering our souls on Him! Whatever fast you choose, please pray about fasting something for 21 days, and you'll be amazed at what God does in your life!
what is fasting?
Fasting is intended to prompt you to spend more time with God, realign your heart with his and realize in greater ways how dependent we are on him.
How does fasting help?
1. To prepare for ministry. Jesus spent forty days and nights in the wilderness fasting and praying before He began God’s work on this earth. He needed time alone to prepare for what His Father had called Him to do (Matthew 4:1-17; Mark 1:12-13; Luke 4:1-14).
2. To seek God’s wisdom. Paul and Barnabas prayed and fasted for the elders of the churches before committing them to the Lord for His service (Acts 14:23).
3. To seek deliverance or protection. Ezra declared a corporate fast and prayed for a safe journey for the Israelites as they made the nine-hundred- mile trek to Jerusalem from Babylon (Ezra 8:21-23).
4. To repent. After Jonah pronounced judgment against the city of Nineveh, the king covered himself with sackcloth and sat in the dust. He then ordered the people to fast and pray. Jonah 3:10 says, “When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, He relented and did not bring on them the destruction He had threatened.”
5. To gain victory. After losing forty thousand men in battle in two days, the Israelites cried out to God for help. Judges 20:26 says all the people went up to Bethel and “sat weeping before the Lord.” They also “fasted that day until evening.” The next day the Lord gave them victory over the Benjamites.
6. To worship God. Luke 2 tells the story of an eighty-four-year-old prophetess named Anna. Verse 37 says, “She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.” Anna was devoted to God, and fasting was one expression of her love for Him.
What are ways I can fast?
1. Partial Fast. This is a fast where you can choose certain times throughout the day to fast. Maybe from sun up to sun down you only drink water. Or you skip lunch. You can even choose only certain foods to abstain from, like coffee, sugar, soda, or those beloved twinkies.
2. Full Fast. This is where you fast all foods, but water.
3. Daniel Fast. The Daniel Fast is based on the fasting experiences of the Old Testament Prophet. It’s a partial fast where some foods are eaten while others are restricted. (for more information visit: http://daniel-fast.com/ )
4. Media Fast. This fast restricts consuming media outlets like, T.V., movies, gaming, social media, or any combination of those.
DAILY PRAYER FOCUSES
DAY 1 - 2018
DAY 2 - OUR WORLD & THE GLOBAL CHURCH
DAY 3 - OUR NATION
DAY 4 - OUR CITY
DAY 5 - SUMMIT PARK FAMILIES
DAY 6 - OUR VOLUNTEERS
DAY 7 - WEEKEND SERVICES
DAY 8 - SPC MISSIONS TRIP TO HAITI
DAY 9 - FORGIVENESS
DAY 10 - SUMMIT PARK MARRIAGES / RELATIONSHIPS
DAY 11 - FINANCIAL PROVISION
DAY 12 - SUPERNATURAL HEALING
DAY 13 - SALVATIONS & LIFE CHANGE
DAY 14 - WISDOM
DAY 15 - OUR CHURCH & PASTORS
DAY 16 - OUTREACH
DAY 17 - LIFE GROUPS
DAY 18 - PEACE
DAY 19 - SUMMIT PARK MEN
DAY 20 - SUMMIT PARK SISTERHOOD
DAY 21 - FUTURE / EXPANSION